Our Projects & Research
The Marsico Institute, led by Drs. Julie Sarama and Doug Clements, serves as a consultant to local and national initiatives and interventions, working to ensure early learning opportunities that are based in good science, developmentally appropriate, and focused on issues of access and equity. We conduct research and provide evaluation services for both large and small scale programs, as well as professional development aligned to our research. The links below highlight a number of our past and current projects.
Early Childhood Math Videos
These videos are part of a series of REL (Regional Educational Laboratory) Central videos focused on actionable strategies to increase the quality of math instruction in the early years by providing recommendations that address implementation steps and common roadblocks experienced by early learners. Dr. Douglas Clements presents these brief discussions using the What Work’s Clearinghouse practice guide Teaching Math To Young Children. Click here to see the videos.
Research Publications Relative to Common Core State Standards in Mathematics
- Clements, D. H., Fuson, K. C., & Sarama, J. (2019). Critiques of the common core in early math: A research-based response. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 50(1), 11–22. doi: 10.5951/jresematheduc.50.1.0011
- Clements, D. H., Fuson, K. C., & Sarama, J. (2017). What is developmentally appropriate teaching? Teaching Children Mathematics, 24(3), 179–188. doi: 10.5951/teacchilmath.24.3.0178
- Clements, D. H., Fuson, K. C., & Sarama, J. (2017). The research-based balance in early childhood mathematics: A response to Common Core criticisms. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 40, 150–162.
- Fuson, K. C., Clements, D. H., & Sarama, J. (2015). Making early math education work for all children. Phi Delta Kappan, 63–68.
Research Publications Related to Our Interventions
- Dumas, D., McNeish, D., Sarama, J., & Clements, D. (2019). Preschool mathematics intervention can significantly improve student learning trajectories through elementary school. AERA Open, 5(4), 233285841987944. doi:10.1177/2332858419879446
- Watts, T. W., Duncan, G. J., Clements, D. H., & Sarama, J. (2018). What is the Long?Run impact of learning mathematics during preschool? Child Development, 89(2), 539-555. doi:10.1111/cdev.12713
Read more about our research.